Sunday, October 3, 2010

Big Food!

Following Lily's red eye incident (see earlier post), we had a much-awaited-for paediatrician appointment.  We killed two birds with one stone as we had her eyes examined as well as had a chat to the doctor about starting her on solids.  It turns out she must have had a mild viral infection and her little eyes and nose were a little congested, red and swollen, but by the time the doctor saw us, all was on the mend so no meds necessary!

Then came the full examination.  For 5 months Lily is meeting all the milestones perfectly, much to the delight of this very proud mommy!  She is strong when lying on her tummy, she's almost ready to roll over from her back to her stomach and she was a very happy little thing while the doctor gave her the once over.  Her length was measured and she's now 65cm, she grew a whopping 3cm in just over 2 weeks!  She was then weighed and to my delight, she has finally doubled her birth weight.  Lily now weights 6.1kg.

However, the doctor compared her weight to her height and said that she should be weighing in the region of 6.6kg.  My child is by no means starving, but she is starting to become more active and perhaps a slow introduction to solids is necessary to give her that little bit more added energy.  I could always wait until 6 months like I had planned, but then the difference between her height and weight would be even bigger.  So after much consideration, I decided to introduce solids today at 5 months and 1 week old!

I must say I was rather apprehensive as I don't want solids to be a battle.  I really want Lily to love her veggies and be a good eater.  So I sent Daniel out to buy some gem squash, my veggie of choice (after chatting to Aunty Lou of course!) and I put my "puree-ing" skills to the test.  I think I did quite well as there were absolutely no signs of lumps or chunks which is saying quite a lot as I am by no means a domestic goddess!

Daniel had the video camera and camera ready while I prepared to give Lily the first teaspoon... And boy did she love it!  To be honest, I'm not quite sure whether she loved the spoon or the gem squash more, but she definitely sucked away at what was on offer.  I had to hold back on giving her too much as she seemed to just devour every spoonful we offered.

So we have now officially entered the new world of solids!  New tastes, textures and experiences to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment