Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Another first!

On Thursday we are going on our first flight and official holiday with Lily.  I have mixed emotions about this task ahead - I am both excited and nervous.  I'm excited about the fact that we'll be visiting Lily's grandparents and old friends still living in East London who haven't yet met Miss Lily, but I'm nervous about all the packing, the flight and of course how Lily will adapt to sleeping in a strange environment.

Granny and Grampa have kindly bought Lily a camp cot which will live in East London for future visits so that is one thing that's taken care of and we can tick off what seems to be a never ending packing list (I am an A-type personality so have lists for everything!).  They also bought us a seat for the bath so bath time should be easy.  Granny is now armed with her own list (perhaps I get my list making from her) of things she needs to get in preparation for our grand arrival!

I always knew that traveling with a baby wasn't easy, but I didn't quite fully understand the grand scale packing ordeal that needs to take place!  Vests, bibs, clothes (a minimum of 2 outfits per day) nappies, bottles, spoons, food, ice packs, spoegdoeks, toys, bum cream, aqueous cream, shampoo, Calpol (just in case), syringe (for the "just in case" Calpol), teething necklace, iPod with sleep time music, docking station for the iPod, camera, camera charger...  The list just goes on and on!  I don't know how I'm going to pack all Lily's requirements, plus a few measly items to last mom for a week into a dismal 20kg baggage allowance!  Surely airlines should sympathise with mothers and allow at least 50kg?  I don't think airline CEO's have ever traveled with children as they would definitely change this ruling.

Luckily dad is accompanying us on our flight to East London, I have an additional pair of hands.  However, our flight home will be just the two of us as hubby is flying back earlier.  Firstly, I pray that Lily's ears are fine with the take-off and landing.  Secondly, I hope she is a happy baby for the duration of the flight.  I'm also pondering, how I'm going to manage a pram AND the trolley with our luggage on my own.  I may have to put on my flirty face and find some strong young man to help me!

I was telling a friend the other day that I strongly believe that when a baby starts growing inside us, women should simultaneously grow at least an extra arm and a pair of eyes at the back of our heads.  She has two children and said, "believe me, you actually DO grow these things. You can't see them, but you somehow manage like you have 3 arms and you do know what's going on behind you!"  It's strange, but I definitely believe her.  With my invisible third arm, I'm sure I'll manage on my own.

So, wish us luck as we embark on unventured territory... I hope it all goes smoothly!

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant, I hope the travelling goes well. Thinking of u two

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure that all will be fine.....just tell the airline that you require assistance!!!

    We can't wait to see you - so excited.

    Love you both loads.
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete