Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Am I a feeder?

After being instructed by the paediatrician to start Lily on solids due to the fact that her weight was under what it should be for her height, I decided to take her advice and as you all know, the solid intro went well.  I have a perfect little eater who has so far accepted everything I have put in front of her.  Today she even took avocado, something I'm not fond of and thought she may not like.  The only downside of having a good eater is that I now have the worry of potentially over feeding my child!

I don't want to become a "feeder" - someone who constantly feeds another while they balloon in size.  Typically, motherhood just never seems to get easier.  We get all excited about the prospect of introducing solids and then we worry about quantities, the quality of the food you're giving them, what to introduce first, you monitor their bowel movements and watch out for allergic reactions.  Phew!

Luckily, after chatting to a few more "experienced" moms (moms with babies 6 months +), I'm apparently doing just fine and Lily's taking in the right amount of food.  What a relief!  However, being the A-type personality I am and wanting to do everything perfectly for my child, I think I'm going to invest in the new Feeding Sense book for some further guidelines.

Even though all of this brings about concerns and questions, it is a lot of fun.  To watch Lily eying out the spoonful of food coming her way, the way she opens her mouth widely in anticipation, when she sucks her lips when its something she really likes, how she tries to grab the spoon to feed herself or to touch and play with the food - all of these things just make me smile and my heart burst with love.

2 comments:

  1. You are an incredible mommy and it shows in how happy little Lily is. We couldn't be more proud of you. Love you lots and lots xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mel you will love FeedingSense! Im same as you and they are so detailed in what to do, how and when. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete