Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Road Trip

Yesterday we packed up the car and headed off on our very first "family of 3" road trip. Packing for this journey was of epic proportions - who knew such a little person would require so much. I think we literally packed up our whole house for these meager 3 weeks away. This was the first time I was truly grateful for our Venter Trailer! I used to be quite snobbish about using a trailer and always threatened wearing a balaclava when it was in tow, but now it is my best friend! With the trailer choca-bloc, the dogs in the boot, Lily strapped in, mom in the back and daddy driving all on his lonesome in the front like a taxi driver, we were on our way!

Lily was a super star! It's not easy for a little baby to be constantly happy facing the backseat for a 4 hour road trip. I wouldn't be happy if my only view was the back of a seat! But Lily truly astounded me and was very happy playing with her toys and laughing at mommy's strange faces and voices. We decided to break the trip up so Lily wasn't confined to her seat for too long and she enjoyed watching the dogs running about and looking at the new scenery. Lily still finds our Labrador hilarious and bursts into absolute fits of laughter when he is in sight.

I have to say I'm so lucky that Lily takes to new places really well. Staying in new beds, in new environments doesn't seem to bother her. She still maintains her bedtime routine much to mom's relief! So whether at home or in a new place, mommy only gets woken up once at around 3am and then Lily starts her day at 5am. Compared to other mommies, I am very lucky!

So today is day 2 of our road trip and I'm sure we have many adventures ahead of us. I'm so looking forward to spending this quality time away with my precious daughter and watching her discover more of herself and her little world.

1 comment:

  1. Totally understand the Venter Trailer issue - my husband has been threatening for ages and I am s l o w l y now with two boys beginning to relent. Where are we going to put the fishing rods and other "stuffs"????

    ReplyDelete