Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Constant entertainer

Whilst in East London a few weeks ago, my mom and I watched an episode of Oprah where she interviewed the controversial "Octomom", the woman who famously had octuplets after she already had 6 children!  So now she has 14 children to take care of on her own with hardly any help at all.  I watched this programme with much sadness when she allowed Oprah's production crew into her life for 24 hours.  Those poor children were pleading for attention and love.  At once stage, one of the little octuplets literally fell alseep in his high chair and no-one even noticed.  Head slumped back in his chair in his own little happier dream land... heartbreaking to say the least.

A huge contrast to the Octomom's children, Lily requires constant entertainment.  My child isn't satisfied to be left to play on her own for too long, nor with only one particular toy or object.  Mom is her constant entertainment!  Perhaps she is too alert and, as I, biased mommy would like to think, too bright to be plonked down in one space playing on her own.  As a result, I often think of those 14 children who are so very desperate for that undivided attention and love and my heart breaks.  It reminds me how lucky Lily and I are to just be the 2 of us and how, even if I'm absolutely shattered from my constant entertaining or lack of sleep, I love playing and spending quality time with my angel.

Having said that, come 6pm, I'm happy to say goodnight and sweet dreams to Lily so I can try to recharge for my entertaining that starts bright and early the next morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment