Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I shed a tear today

I recently posted about the fact that my breast milk seems to be dwindling and that my breastfeeding days are drawing to a close.  Well, this morning I thought it was a good idea to visually know how much milk I'm actually producing so I expressed before Lily had her routine morning milk.  Her morning feed is usually her best feed of the day as my boobs are usually full from a bit of sleep, but, much to my disappointment, my instinct was right, and I barely produced enough to fill a teaspoon.

I can't believe how incredibly emotional I am about the fact that today was more than likely the first day that Lily didn't breastfeed.  Instead she gladly took formula in her bottle. I phoned my mom to let her know and I burst into tears!  I felt so silly, but as usual, my mom made me feel so normal, telling me that she did the exact same thing when she stopped breastfeeding me.  I suppose it's just the end of an incredible, amazing experience that only my daughter and I could share - no-one else could share those moments with her. 

I'm so grateful that after all the breastfeeding challenges I faced in those first couple of weeks when Lily was born didn't hamper my efforts to breastfeed.  Looking back, I honestly never expected to be breastfeeding Lily at 11 months old.  My goal at the time was to reach 6 weeks and after those weeks were done and breastfeeding had become easier, my next goal was 6 months.  But here we are at 11 months and 2 days and only now have we reached this milestone.  I am proud of myself as well as proud of Lily for learning to latch so incredibly well and for allowing me to feed her for so much longer than I hoped.  It has been one incredible journey which we've experienced together - the first of hopefully many, many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment