Sunday, December 5, 2010

First Chrismukkah!

Chrismukkah, as explained by our dear friend Wikipedia, is a pop-culture neologism referring to the merging of the holidays of Christianity's Christmas and Judaism's Hanukkah.  Now, being Jewish, we do not celebrate Christmas, but are not adverse to sharing in the annual celebrations that are typically associated with this time of year.  Having said that, my group of friends belonging to the weekly Mother's Group, decided to throw a "Baby's first Christmas party".  Not one to be left out of any sort of celebration, there was no doubt that we would be attending.  We didn't attend for the "Christmas" association, but for the mere festivities and gathering of friends.  I like to refer to it as our little Chrismukkah!

Lily was dressed up specially for the occasion (yes, those who know me, wouldn't be surprised by this statement), wearing a white dress, red shoes and a red clip to match.  She also wore her beautiful silver bracelet that granny and grampa bought for her which looked too precious!  See below:

Unfortunately hubby was "extremely ill" with "man flu" so wasn't able to join us, so Aunty Lou happily obliged to come along.  We had loads of fun with the other mommies and meeting all the husbands.  I found it incredible how I always thought a few of the babies looked exactly like their moms until I actually met the husbands!  I wonder what people would have thought had they been able to meet my husband - would they have thought Lily looked like him, me or neither of us?

After sitting down for lunch, which typically involves one partner hurriedly wolfing down their food while the other partner holds and entertains baby before doing a quick swap, Santa arrived!  Every baby had a turn to sit on Santa's lap and receive a gift.  I was praying with all my might that Lily would be happy on Santa's lap, or at least wouldn't cry, but no, she was NOT impressed and burst into tears!  So no happy Santa pictures for my little girl this year, but I think this is a "right of passage" - every baby will have one of these one year!

As soon as I took Lily off Santa's lap, she was her happy jolly self again.  This was one episode I couldn't blame on teething!  Lily was spoilt with a very cute present which included an adorable Christmas hat (below), beach toys and of course, Lily's signature hair clips!

And after a whole afternoon filled with loads of excitement, plenty of catching up, great food and awesome festivities, we headed home with an absolutely exhausted baby!

And that was our first of hopefully very many merry Chrismukkahs!

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is awesome Mel, u're really recording everything beautifully, so special!

    Lily is soooo adorable, especially love these pics of her Chrismukkah experience.

    xx

    ReplyDelete