Thursday, December 16, 2010

Developments

It still astounds me how very quickly our precious little babies develop.  One day they appear to be nowhere near to achieving a new milestone and the next day they are mastering the skill.  Scary.

I've been in two minds about Lily crawling.  First thought:  I can't wait for her to start crawling and to begin exploring her surroundings.  Reaching this milestone also proves to this sometimes anxious first time parent that yes, my child is normal!  Second thoughts:  I'm also quite patient to wait for the crawling to begin as it's easier this way.  I can leave Lily for a few moments happily playing on her mat and when I return, I'm at peace with the knowledge that she will still be in the same spot.

As of yesterday, I was convinced that Lily was nowhere near ready to start crawling.  Much like her dad who can be a little "lazy" at times (said with much love I assure you!), she would reach for items and if they were out of her grasp, she would merely put her head down to rest on the mat as if to say, if I just lie here, mom, or someone will eventually bring this toy to me!  Of course she has me wrapped around her little finger and the lying down gesture just simply melts my heart, so naturally she was right and the toys did miraculously land up in her grasp anyway!

Having said that, I have been trying to encourage her to shift, move, slide... whatever movement actually just to get her moving, but as of yesterday, nothing!  Well, today is a different story.  Lily has started to crawl, or should I say, shift backwards.  I've been told that moving backwards is the start of crawling so I'm sure that this is the beginning!  So at this moment I can still leave her happily playing on her mat in one spot, but when I return, she will still be on the mat, but in a slightly different position or at a different angle.  Things are progressing!

Another milestone Lily (almost) achieved today happened at her cousin's house.  Their baby cot is on its lower level due to Lily's cousin being that bit older.  We put both Lily and her cousin into the cot to play and Lily started pulling herself up holding onto the sides!  She was progressing quite astonishingly well and I'm sure had we given her more time (we were in a rush to head home), she would have achieved her goal!  I couldn't believe what I was seeing!  I'm now grateful for the fact that our pool net has been fitted and am giving myself another week to get some gates for our stairs and chicken mesh for our railings!  Tomorrow my hubby must lower our cot down as well - I most certainly don't want her suddenly pulling herself up and landing on the floor!

So today was an exciting day.  I suppose I should make hay while the sun shines and take advantage of the few weeks, or perhaps even days, that I have to "relax" slightly where I can just put Lily on her mat and entertain her in a stationery position.  I'm also going to enjoy wearing my high heels as I know I'm going to have to trade them in for flat, comfortable "run after baby" shoes in the very near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment