Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Today's thoughts

Today I have 3 things on my mind… 

Thought #1:  My ailing mind.
I have to admit that I’m growing more and more concerned about my mental health.  They say you get “porridge brain” during pregnancy, but I have to say, even though I did say and do the odd occasional ditsy thing, I wasn’t affected too badly (although I’m sure my husband would disagree!).  The problem I believe, is actually POST pregnancy.  I am convinced that I delivered my common sense and short-term memory when I delivered Lily!  It is rather worrying as I don’t seem to retain much upstairs and seem to be living up to the colour of my hair!  I’m praying that my once intelligent mind returns and soon!

Thought #2:  My child’s bowel movements.
Who would have thought that bowel movements would consume your thoughts every 3-4 hours?  Well, that’s what’s been on my mind today and I’m sure 99% of new mommies have experienced this too.  Lily is breastfed and therefore shouldn’t have any problems in the “bowel moving” department.  They say a breastfed baby can go 8 times in 1 day or go once in 8 days… Having said that, she’s pretty regular so this new mommy needn’t worry, until today when  I suddenly realized that my daughter hadn’t had a poo nappy in over 3 days (today being day #4)!  So with every nappy change I was secretly praying that I would open up a nice, full brown nappy!

As luck would have it, I didn’t have to worry for too much longer as a nice big parcel was waiting for me just before bath time – I could have thrown a party I was so relieved!  Had anyone told me about this a year ago, I would never have believed that my days would be spent worrying about bowel movements!

Thought #3:  When to start baby on solids and how to feed baby solids.
Another thing I would never have thought possible is how very confusing feeding a baby is!  One person tells you to start baby on solids at 4 months and another says wait until 6 months.  One person says start them off on rice cereal and others say veggies.  As per usual with anything baby related, there are numerous differing opinions!  So I’ve decided to do what I feel I need to do with MY baby and ignore all the other opinions out there.  I have to do this for my own sanity!

And then another thing – what to feed your baby in when the inevitable first few spoonfuls are spat out!  Do you buy a highchair or a bumbo seat?  If you buy a highchair, what type of highchair do you buy?  There are just so many options out there that yet again, things just get far too confusing.  Although I’m grateful for the modern advances there are today, I sometimes wish it was as simple as it was for our parents when we were babies (except for the lack of car seats back in the day!).  So now I need to do my research and find a suitable abode for my little Lily to merrily eat her solids when that big day comes!  I must say, I’m really excited!

1 comment:

  1. Cute post Mel!
    Can just imagine that baby consumes all thoughts, and therefore other things get forgotten! :-)
    LOL @ throwing a party coz of a poo nappy, hehe!
    Exciting, wonder what Lily's gonna think of solids!
    xx

    ReplyDelete