Monday, September 27, 2010

Bad Mommy

It has taken me 5 months, but I've finally realised that Lily cannot go for longer than 2.5 hours of "awake time".  She is such a happy little baby during her first 2 hours of so-called "awake time", but then things start to unravel we have a mini meltdown! 

Take today - happily out and about shopping with my sister (Aunty Lou) and Lily this afternoon.  Lily was loving facing the outside world in her Baby Bjorn, kicking, talking and giggling, but mom forgot to think about the time and the fact that Lily had gone way over her blissful 2 hours of awake time.  Right in the middle of a very busy Woolworths queue, my daughter decided to let the world know that she was fighting the overwhelming power of sleep!  Sleep is the enemy and must be fought.  I was getting a few inquisitive looks and stares so eventually rushed Aunty Lou to the car with Lily while I waited to pay for our groceries.  I was very tempted to leave the groceries and eat nothing for dinner tonight just to get out of the situation!

The same thing then happened this evening again (you would think I'd learned my lesson earlier) as I tried to push her to stay awake until bath time.  Loving her bath and happily playing with her floating green turtle, when out of nowhere, a scream erupted like someone was really hurting her!  I've never whipped her out of the bath so quickly.  We had to take a few moments to calm the mini meltdown so we could finally get dressed, fed and put into bed.

Lily, Mom has now learned her lesson and will be clock watching a little more closely from now on!  She's sorry it took her so long to figure out!  Yet another learning curve in the land of parenthood.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog, Mel!
    Well done on how u handle the mini-meltdowns.

    Learning curves in the land of parenthood... i think they're gonna be plenty yet! Everyone keeps telling me how just when u master one stage, the next stage starts and u have to start all over again.

    Jess
    xx

    ReplyDelete