Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A little scare

Yesterday, during the early hours of the morning, I felt uncomfortable and started having cramps.  When I eventually got up for the day, the cramping hadn't subsided and accompanying the worrying aches, was nausea.  I was reluctant to give my doctor a call as I would hate to be perceived as an over anxious pregnant woman, but at my husband's persistence, I decided to give him a call.  After asking about my symptoms, he said I was to go to his offices and he would fit me in.  He needed to measure my cervix to determine if I was possibly going into pre-term labour.

Now pre-term labour isn't what you want to hear at any stage of your pregnancy, but especially not as early as 22 weeks!  We quickly got ready and went to his offices.  Luckily he only kept us waiting for about 15 minutes and then he took us in.  After an internal scan, he said that my cervix was fine - I have never been so relieved to hear news about my cervix!  He then did a quick external scan to check the baby's heartbeat and did a few measurements and everything is going according to schedule and looks healthy.  What a relief!

He attributed the aches and cramps to ligament stretching and growth.  I'm not sure what attributed to the nausea, perhaps it was coincidental.  Nevertheless, I took it extremely easy yesterday, lying down when Lily went to sleep and just relaxing as much as is humanly possible with a busy toddler running about.  Murphy's Law this would happen while my domestic worker is on leave so I had no-one to alleviate the busyness of a toddler!

Today I've experienced a cramp or two, but honestly feel so much better.  Perhaps it was a sign to slow down a little and to realise that I am in fact pregnant.  It is easy to forget when you are running around after your 19 month old and get swept away in the craziness of our daily routine.  We have now extended our next scan by 2 weeks so will only see Baby Boy A mid-January... Can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. And we CANT wait to be able to help out as much as we can. Love you, Lily and of course "master junior".

    ReplyDelete