Monday, January 21, 2013

The big day

So the big day has finally arrived - the first day of school for our little Lily angel pie.  We had prepared her during the course of the week so she understood that we were going to her new school this morning.  We got dressed quite early and she immediately made her way to the garage door and said "Let's go to school!".  I had to tell her that it was in fact too early and we would be going in a little while.  She was most certainly eager!

When we arrived at school and I took her out of the car, this little voice said, "Thank you for brining Lily to my new school mommy!"  It was too precious and so heartwarming.  It was almost too much for this slightly emotional mom already.  She then made me giggle by asking me for money in her purse for school!  What she thought she was going to buy I have no idea!

We went into her new classroom quite comfortably due to the orientation last week and she immediately went to the kitchen area to play with the breads, stove and kitchen utensils.  She didn't show any interest in the other children and neither did they show any interest in her.  They all just seemed interested in the toys and keeping themselves occupied.

After 20 minutes with her, she asked to do some painting and her teacher told her they would paint when mommy had left.  So I took that as my cue to leave.  I said, "Lily, mommy is going to go now, I will be back a little later to fetch you."  Lily then said, "Bye bye mommy, can I have a kiss?" Bless, so I gave her a big hug and a kiss and made my way to the classroom door.  As I was about to leave I heard a happy shout from across the room "Bye bye mommy!", just to let me know that she was happy and not phased about my leaving. 

Boy was I surprised by the turn of events!  Who would have guessed that my little Lily, who can be very "ma vas" at times, was so confident and content to be left at school!  I am so extremely proud of my little angel.

From that moment on, I clock watched, willing the time to draw closer to 12:00 when I'd fetch my baby.  In the mean time the school sent me 2 messages - one merely stating a very reassuring "Doing great" and then another message along with a photograph saying that she had settled in perfectly and was doing great.  Another confirmation to ease this mom's worries.

I made sure I was at the school at 11:50 and waited outside her classroom.  When the door opened and she saw my face, she came running out to me with a huge smile.  So happy to see me, yet quite happy about the morning she had spent at school.  When we left she said a confident "Bye Morah Stacey" to her teacher and off we went to the car.  On the way I asked her about her day - what games she played, what she ate, who she played with and she gladly answered my inquisitive questions.  I then said that we would be going back tomorrow and she said, "No mommy, I don't want to go back tomorrow. I'm finished school."...  Thankfully I have asked her since, as have Ritah and her dad and she has happily agreed that she is going back to school tomorrow.  I am aware of the fact that day 2 and 3 can be worse as they're now aware of what's in store for them, so I'm holding thumbs that she is still as happy and amazing as she was today.

I am one very proud mommy! xxx
Ready for my first day at school

1 comment:

  1. Ah, she is such an amazing little girl. Always so well mannered and happy............you Mellie, have done one incredible job so far in raising such a gorgeous, wonderful little girl. We love you both lots and lots
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete