Friday, January 13, 2012

Next week...

Next week we will be seeing our little man again.  At this scan, I want to ensure that I get some information, unlike my last "out of the blue" scan when I was having stomach pains.  Due to the anxiety caused by the discomfort and the unscheduled scan, I didn't even think to ask how much he weighed nor for any of his measurements.  Now that this is a routine, scheduled scan, I will take my time to ask for all the details concerning his growth as well as some much-needed pictures.

Then 2 days following my scan, Lily and I will be heading off to the paediatrician.  She is a new doctor who we haven't met before as our paediatritian has since relocated and is no longer working in South Africa.  I've heard great stories about this new doctor though and look forward to meeting her, especially for our new little baby making his way in 3 months time.

The reason for Lily's visit is that her daddy noticed that the piece of skin connecting her upper lip to her gum is very low down, in fact so low down that it goes inbetween her two top teeth causing quite a significant gap.  I initially blew it off as a paranoid, overprotective father being overly concerned, however, since Googling the condition, I'm now a little more concerned than I had initially been.  From our research, it seems she has a condition called Upper Labial Frenulum (awful name!).  It appears that diagnosis can be simple and left untreated as well as quite considerable in that it can cause significant gaps between the top teeth and speech impedements.  So I've decided to rather have the condition seen to and see what our options are as Lily's piece of skin is rather thick and the gap between her two teeth is quite wide - something a little girl shouldn't have to contend with in our opinion.

So here's hoping for some good news regarding the condition when we visit the Paediatrician on Wednesday (and that Lily cooperates and opens her mouth!) and for a lovely, healthy scan with our little boy on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment