Sunday, July 3, 2011

First smack :(

With much guilt and heartache, I must admit to the fact that Lily received her very first smack yesterday.  I regret having done it as I really want to try to discipline verbally and with a naughty space instead.  However, after weeks of saying "NO" to her climbing onto the coffee table with her totally ignoring my raised voice, yesterday I firmly said no to her with my finger pointed at her and she angrily hit me in the face! 

I was completely shocked and taken by surprise that my immediate response was to say "You do not hit mommy!" and I took her little hand and gave it a little smack.  She then of course started to cry and after about 3 seconds, I gave her a reassuring love.  My heart broke in that moment - my poor little baby so upset by something I had done to her.  But as usual, Lily had forgotten about it within seconds and mommy was left to ponder over what she had done with so much guilt!

I am really looking forward to the Living and Loving seminar this month which is focused on discipline and self-esteem without tears.  I think it will come in handy during the next few months and the supposed "terrible two's".  Hopefully there will be some great tips and advice for this first time mommy who really wants to get it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment