Monday, January 24, 2011

I dream of sleep...

I should be thankful for the good baby I have been blessed with and the very few difficult nights we have experienced.  Many moms have the exact opposite with only a few good nights in between very disturbed, exhausting nights.  However, 3 days ago, Lily woke up with a teary right eye and running left nostril.  Poor baby looked so sick, but it seemed to be the same thing she's had in the past where it just seems to disappear, with no "sickness" to report.  I've been told that these sorts of symptoms that mimic a cold or the flu, can be a result of teething...

I'm not so sure!  Teething seems to be the "go-to" blamed condition for everything that's not quite right with your child.  Lily has had these teething symptoms before, quite some time ago, and still, we have NO teeth!  Her gums are a little more swollen and I do believe they are on their way, but I just wish we had something to show for her little niggles, red eyes, runny nose and bad nights!

Three nights ago, I had the worst night we have yet to experience with Lily and I hope it's the last!  From the moment she was put to sleep at 6:30pm, she woke up every single hour until I eventually got up with her at 5:15am.  It was tiring, very tiring!  Then the next night wasn't much better!  I wasn't up every hour, but I was definitely up about 5 times during the night.  Lily wasn't even awake, she was merely crying out in what appeared to be discomfort.  Poor little baby, I just wanted to make it right for her.  It wasn't helping that her nose seemed blocked and she was having difficulty breathing while breastfeeding or sucking on her dummy.  It was the first time I popped open the baby Nurofen and used Karvol capsules.

So last night, I was fully prepared.  Before putting Lily down for her sleep, I sprayed some of her lavendar "magic sleep" spray on her pillow and mattress, I rubbed Karvol Rub on her little chest, I put some "Breath Easy" on her upper lip and prayed for a better night.  And I am happy to say that she only woke up at 4am for a feed and then 7am to start the day.  I feel so refreshed!

I now have a new found sympathy for my fellow moms who have battled with babies who aren't fond of sleeping and wake up numerous times during the night.  It is exhausting to say the least and I don't believe you can ever quite "catch up" on lost sleep.  But the joys of being a mommy, to see your precious baby's smile when you walk into their room and to have those little snuggles, giggles and precious moments, make it all worth while!

No comments:

Post a Comment