Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I dream of sleep

It isn't often that I dream of a parallel universe where I am free to do as I please, but the last few days I have definitely been fantasising about a relm where I can be free to sleep as much as I need.  I quite honestly think I could literally sleep the entire day away!  Who knew that sleep would be such a precious commodity and that I'd quite honestly give my pinky finger to have a day that didn't start before 6am.  Just one day where I could lie in and let nature lead the way so my body clock could stir my body awake, instead of being woken by baby moans, girgles or stirs.

I am especially tired this week due to a damn virus which has infected my precious little boy who has been so healthy since his 6 week RSV virus.  He is now snotty and coughing slightly which disturbs his sleep and of course, my sleep in return. Friday night saw me waking up almost every single hour until I eventually put him in the bed with us at 2am.  He then slept a lot more soundly until 6am when we had to start our day.  Satuday he was very snotty, red eyed and just not feeling well (neither was I - I have the same virus) so that night was yet another bad one with limited hours of sleep.

It is times like these that I'm even more grateful for my mother. She selflessly came over on Sunday afternoon to look after Zac so hubby and I could have a much needed recharge nap.  I hit the pillow at around 1:30 and only surfaced at about 3:45pm.  It was bliss!  Thankfully Sunday night was a lot more peaceful and Zac allowed a few more hours sleep than the previous two nights, but of course I could do with far more hours than even Sunday night provided!  Then yesterday I decided that another afternoon nap would go down well so I handed my little man to Ritah, the domestic worker, while Lily was having her afternoon nap and I once again fell into a deep sleep for over 2 hours.  Great!

Today Zac is still not quite himself with a snotty nose and cough.  He is fighting the sleep during the day as he is refusing his dummy and just arching his back and screaming when placed in the sleep position in my arms.  I hope that this isn't the start of something new and merely as a result of his illness!  He has also been refusing the boob today and I've had to express in order to get some milk down him.  Thankfully he has been taking the bottle.  Please let this too be as a result of his cold and not a view of things to come...

So at the moment this mommy isn't at her fully functional capabilities and is literally quite zombie-fied!  I could honestly do with a full 24 hours of sleep which I obviously realise is a mere fantasy.  So instead I will settle for just a few straight hours of sleep tonight... Fingers, toes and everything crossed!

1 comment:

  1. shame my love, we feel so sorry for you and wish we could provide all the hours sleep you so need and deserve. We love you all lots and wish a speedy recovery to you all. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete