Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The start of tantrums?

As of the last couple of days, Lily has been doing the "dying swan", a movement where she sits and just literally drops her head to the floor in utter displeasure.  She is starting to, in no uncertain terms, communicate what she does or doesn't want to happen.  If she wants to be up on my lap and not on the floor, she screeches and protests until I lift her up.  If she is up on my lap and wants to be on the floor, she does the same thing.  It is made very clear when she is unhappy with any situation.

So now begins the joyous repetition of the word "no".  No to her wanting to touch buttons she shouldn't be touching, to her opening cupboards containing dangerous toxic materials, to her trying to climb up the stairs, to her trying to drink water out of the dogs' bowls, to wriggling about when I'm trying to change her nappy or get her dressed... The list is endless and I sometimes worry that Lily is going to think that her actual name is "No"!

Yesterday while trying to get Lily's nappy changed, she was wriggling about so much that I shouted out "no!", only for her to look right at me, point her finger and shout "Doh" (sounds like "no" with a "d").  I was horrified!  Is my 12 month old talking back already?  She really is a little independent thing with a mind of her own - something I really have to get used to.

Although we are dealing with a few difficult moments, as all mommies do, Lily is still the cutest, sweetest little girl.  She has just learned how to blow kisses and I could just melt when she does it.  She also randomly decides that she wants kisses from mommy or daddy and will lean forward, purse her little lips and make a "mwah" sound and come in for a nice slobbery kiss.  It's honestly the most heart melting gesture and I could just burst with pride.  So bring on the "doh's" with pointed finger as the cute moments far outweigh the difficult ones.

1 comment:

  1. absolutely correct.....such a very, very special, gorgeous child. We love her so very much

    ReplyDelete