Thursday, October 13, 2011

It's a boy!

On Tuesday we had our Fetal Assessment Scan at the Fetal Assessment Center in Claremont.  I was both anxious and excited to see our little "bean".  I have been feeling great once again as the nausea and exhaustion subsided around week 11 so obviously I no longer had any "pregnancy" symptoms and wanted confirmation that all was still okay with the pregnancy.  Besides confirmation that all was still going well, we had decided to find out the sex of our new baby.  We didn't find out the sex when we were pregnant with Lily, but this time around, I just knew I wanted to find out.

My reasons for finding out were simple.  I come from a family of girls, I have a daughter and felt 100% certain that this baby was going to be yet another girl.  I only "know" girls and needed to know if I was in fact carrying a boy as I needed time to get my head around the notion.  I would need a whole mind shift in fact!  Not that I didn't want a boy, it is just so unknown to me...

The scan, as expected, was amazing.  The intricate detail and in-depth view of our baby who is essentially only the size of half a banana, is truly astounding.  The woman conducting the scan confirmed that there is very little risk of our baby having any developmental abnormalities and all looked perfect as far as she could see.  She then asked whether we would like to know the sex of the baby and we both said yes...

She went to the groin area and as soon as she focused on it, she said with 100% certainty that our baby is in fact a boy!  My heart skipped a beat... I couldn't believe it!  I was so certain that Lily would be getting a sister, how could I be so incredibly wrong?  I almost didn't hear what was being said next as I lay there in disbelief.  I was smiling and excited, but truly shocked.  But there was no denying that a winky was visible!

So I now need to get my head around the idea of our new little baby being a boy!  I'm excited and nervous of the unknown, but know that this little person is going to complete our family perfectly.  I have no doubt he is going to have me wrapped around his teeny tiny finger in no time.  I'm looking forward to seeing him again at the end of the month for our 16 week scan.  Again, it is truly amazing how blessed we are and I cannot wait for Lily to have a little brother.

1 comment:

  1. Pulls at the heartstrings it is beautifully written. Love the 3 of you very much. xxxx

    ReplyDelete