Saturday, February 26, 2011

Drugs 1 - sleep training 0

The other morning my angel woke up and looked like she has been attacked by either a monster mosquito or a swarm of them!  I wasn't quite sure what to make of the horrendous red, swollen marks on her arm and face - was it in fact a mozzie bite or perhaps something worse like a spider?  So this first time worry-pot mom decided to play it safe and take Lily to the doctor.  R285 later and it was confirmed to be an allergic reaction to mosquito bites!
Lily's poor little arm!
One good thing that definitely came out of the doctor's visit was the fact that she prescribed my new found love, Allergex!  This is a syrup which makes babies sleepy... oh yes, and alleviates the symptoms of the allergy.  Oh how I wish I'd known about this miracle drug a few months back.  The last 3 nights that Lily has been taking it, she has been sleeping through!  Touch wood things stay like this.  I've decided that even though her red, hot rash is now looking much better, Lily still needs the Allergex (well, to be honest, mommy needs Lily to need the Allergex!).  Apparently it can help to get them to sleep through if you use it for a few nights in a row.  I much prefer this method than the crying it out method thank you very much!

When attempting the crying method a few days back during Lily's lunch time nap, Lily decided that she was going to win and sleep would not prevail.  My child has a strong character and knows what she wants - and that was to stay awake!  She cried and cried until she was hysterical.  As I walked into the room to console her, she looked up at me and projectile vomited all over herself, her hair, her clothes, her pillow, her blankets, sheet, mattress protector and dummy.  Typically she chose a day when the maid doesn't work so mommy had to deal with it all on her own.

I immediately flipped her over so she wouldn't choke and then lifted her out her cot, stripped her naked and then put her into the bath.  I think I usually have a strong stomach, but I was close to getting sick myself while trying to clean her.  I had to wash her hair and what felt like her entire body.  I also had to clean the bath once I had taken her out.  It was then a matter of stripping the bed and making it again with fresh, clean linen. I then shoved everything into the washing machine, made Lily a bottle (the first formula bottle in ages) and she eventually fell asleep.  I was absolutely exhausted by the end of it all!

So, as I said, I prefer "drugs" (magic medicine) to sleep training by far!  Long may the sleeping through last!

1 comment: